twilio + tokbox?

Open forum for all suggestions and feature requests from the community

twilio + tokbox?

Postby smidwap » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm wondering if there's some way to combine twilio with tokbox, so that someone calling in could be connected to streaming audio from a tokbok session? My use case is creating a live talk show where people can call in via phone if they're not by a computer. I imagine there could be other use cases as well. But I've seen a lot of talk about talk shows, so maybe that is enough of a reason to try it out.
Was this post helpful? (0)
smidwap

Thumbs Up: 0

Re: twilio + tokbox?

Postby janine » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:47 pm

this is a FANTASTIC idea. Yes, there has been a lot of talk about Talk Shows :)

What's involved here is some amount our work on our side - not the hardest thing some one's asked us for but isn't on our roadmap right now. You could potentially do something like turn off our audio and use the fancy new Twilio client for audio via the web (i'm not sure if it interoperates with POTS) but that might be kind of hacky.
janine

Thumbs Up: 20

Postby rtestard » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:25 am

Or to do that in a more standard way could you let tokbox users feed the tokbox audio stream into other voice platforms via RTMP? And vice versa let other RTMP audio sources feed into the tokbox audio stream?
rtestard

Postby dvoytenko » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:12 pm

this sounds like a fantastic idea! i wonder if anyone had a follow up on this?
dvoytenko

Postby ankur » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:49 am

We don't offer a way to import or export the media streams into or our of OpenTok as of now, but this still may become a future feature. It sounds like the Twilio Client audio + OpenTok video hack is still plausible :)

-- Ankur
ankur

Thumbs Up: 12

Return to Suggestions