[Ruby] Generating and downloading a composite video archive

Official OpenTok Server-Side libraries

[Ruby] Generating and downloading a composite video archive

Postby doomhz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi,

Can you tell me please if the OpenTok SDK gem v 0.0.9 supports generating and downloading the mp4 video format or should I do it with CURL?

Thank you.
Was this post helpful? (0)
doomhz

Thumbs Up: 1

Re: [Ruby] Generating and downloading a composite video arch

Postby song » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Downloading mp4 format does not work for standalone archives (sorry).

0.0.9 supports stitching function, which can stitch (up to 4) videos in an archive together, which uses our restful API. Stitching an archive with 1 video will result in an infinite processing loop, I'm working with the engineers to solve this problem.

If you are ambitious, you can try using ffmpeg to convert flv to mp4 files, and I can show you how.
song

Thumbs Up: 5

Postby doomhz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Hm, ffmpeg is not an option anymore. We used it before in older projects. It consumes too much time to maintain the servers that take care of the video processing. Debugging broken videos is a pain as well. We try to move to third-party services as much as possible.

Zencoder seems to work well with OpenTok Archives. The OpenTok FLV video url it's enough info for Zencoder to download, reencode in multiple formats and generate thumbnails. Afterwords it even uploads the media in our S3 bucket. Works perfect for us.

Btw, the OpenTok Video Archive service rocks.
doomhz

Thumbs Up: 1

Postby MarkJ » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:49 pm

I would just like to add that I've just been implementing Zencoder to transcode Opentok Archives also and this appears to be working really well. Plus you have the option to do things like add watermarks and generate thumbnails.
MarkJ

Thumbs Up: 0

Postby idejuan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 am

Following the answer of song below, is there any chance that the mp4 download feature would be available for a single video? I am experiencing frequent problems with .flv files that cannot be read as .flv, but when converted to .mp4 can be read fine.

It would be really good to be able to download them directly in .mp4 format.

thank you

Ignacio

song wrote:Downloading mp4 format does not work for standalone archives (sorry).

0.0.9 supports stitching function, which can stitch (up to 4) videos in an archive together, which uses our restful API. Stitching an archive with 1 video will result in an infinite processing loop, I'm working with the engineers to solve this problem.

If you are ambitious, you can try using ffmpeg to convert flv to mp4 files, and I can show you how.
idejuan

Thumbs Up: 0

Postby mumm » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi Ignacio,

We have paused adding new features to our archiving stack for now. However, if you are downloading the flvs files, you can use another service (FFmpeg, Zencoder, Pandastream) to convert them to whatever format you'd like.

Jon
Was this post helpful? (1)
mumm

Thumbs Up: 29

Return to Supported Server API (PHP, Java, Ruby, Python)