When given a choice of having the good news or bad news first, I always opt for the bad news. So here goes, as of April 5th, 2011 the TokBox video chat and video conferencing service that you know and love will no longer be available. We promise it’s not you it’s us.
That’s where the good news comes in. From now on the TokBox team will be focusing 110% of our energy on our new API, OpenTok, working with our growing number of partners (28 and counting!) OpenTok will bring group video conversations to sites & applications you’re already using. Video chat while you’re IM’ing your friends on eBuddy, while speed-dating on WinkVid, or playing poker on Pokerview.
I’m sure you have lots of questions about what will happen with your contact lists, scheduled meetings, and the video mails you have sent, below are the answers, but if you still have any, please feel free to send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org We are also working to provide you with recommendations for alternative services to use and will post those on our site when we close down the service.
Can my friends still sign up for TokBox?
- We will continue to accept registrations for FREE Video Chat accounts so you can continue to chat with your friends right up until April 5th
- However, as of today, 2/8/11, we will no longer be accepting subscriptions for our premium Video Meeting or Video Conference services(this includes upgrades to existing accounts)
What if I am already paying for Video Meeting or Video Conference?
- The good news for you is that you can continue to enjoy these services up until April 5th for FREE. You will not be charged at the time of your next monthly renewal
- You will not be able to schedule meetings/conferences on or after April 5, 2011
- If you’ve already scheduled a meeting/conference call for that date (or later) we recommend you reschedule it for before April 5, 2011
What about the video messages I have sent or received?
- By mid-March we will notify you (via email and on this blog) of how you can download the video messages you’d like to save
The TokBox Team