At TokBox, security is of the utmost importance to us. We’re committed to providing a safe platform which meets all of the security requirements and regulations and therefore ensures reliability for our customers and privacy for their end users.
When the new regulation from the European Union called General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR, is officially enforced on May 25th, 2018, we will be ready. In fact, we’ve already been hard at work ensuring we’re compliant and meet all new regulations set forth by the GDPR. This is part of an ongoing effort to keep our platform secure and maintain our transparency about how we use data.
Before we dive into what actions TokBox is taking to achieve GDPR compliance, let’s quickly review GDPR and how it applies to our industry.
The GDPR is a comprehensive European data protection law that provides significant data rights for protecting the privacy of natural persons residing in the EU. TokBox is committed to ensuring that our platform is GDPR-compliant when the regulation becomes enforceable on May 25, 2018.
How is GDPR applicable to TokBox?
What steps is TokBox taking to ensure GDPR compliance?
- We conducted an internal Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) to discover what information we collect and how we use it.
- We will publish a Shared Responsibility Model. This will allow our customers to know what their responsibility is for protecting the privacy of personal information, and will inform them of what TokBox is responsible for. This is to reduce confusion and duplication of effort.
- We will provide customers with resources and helpful information about privacy and GDPR, including whitepapers and blog posts.
Become a GDPR expert
Join us for our upcoming webinar on March 28th, 2018 at 8:00am PDT (4pm UK time, 5pm CET). We’ll be talking more about what GDPR compliance means, how it applies to TokBox and what we’re doing to prepare for it. Our team of experts we’ll be presenting live and taking questions.
For more information about our GDPR compliance and readiness, please visit our help center here for a full list of FAQs.
We are confident of our ability to ensure that we (and by association our customers when using our platform) can comply with GDPR by the deadline in May 2018. If you have any specific questions regarding the GDPR requirements and how this may impact your use of the OpenTok platform, please feel free to contact us.
If you’re seeking more information about GDPR compliance, here are some helpful resources:
- From the original source: The Council of the European Union where the legislation was approved. https://publications.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/c7d157e6-fccd-11e7-b8f5-01aa75ed71a1/language-en/format-PDF/source-62885347
- For more general GDPR readiness portals, we suggest: https://www.eugdpr.org/
- GDPR FAQs: https://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html
- From leading Privacy advocacy organizations: